Tuesday 2 November 2010

San Francisco and the Giants Win!

After a few days in the cold of the mountains, I was now headed towards San Francisco.

I found this a welcoming sight as it was confirming the warmer temperatures I was riding towards....
















It was early morning and the air was still. I stopped at Courtland on the Sacramento River to look at the reflections in the water....














































Further along the river, I needed fuel and while filling the bike, I watched two lads doing tricks on their bikes. They were very good and I was surprised at the height they could get....




























































After a short while, they were told to stop doing tricks in the gas station!

On the way into San Francisco I went via Golden Gate Bridge, but the sun was in the wrong position and the side of the bridge I wanted to take a photo of was in shadow. This meant coming back later...




















I had set aside day 132 for looking around San Francisco. I started near Fishermans Wharf and looked at the fishing boats....


















This is the USS Pampanito, moored and on display in the Pier 39 area. Built in 1943 the ship played its part in World War Two....



















I took photos of two boats moored next to each other. They were boats that cruised to take visitors out to the Golden Gate Bridge and around Alcatraz. This was at the stern....


























And these are the bows....




















This is the Alcatraz Prison Island. It would be a long way to swim for the prisoners that tried to escape, especially in the strong tides the area....




















The boards of the boardwalk in the Fishermans Wharf area....




















Sea Lions live at Pier 39. It is very peculiar to see wildlife so close to people, but also very welcome. Like hundreds of thousands before me, I stood they watching them for some time. I loved watching them....








































































I liked this kite, one of many on sale at the wharf....


























I rode up to Coit Tower. Sadly both the elevator and stairs were closed so it wasn’t possible to get to the top to see the view....


























The Streets of San Francisco....




















I have no idea what these are, but I really liked them....


























One of the places I wanted to see was the area of San Francisco where the hippy movement started. The centre of the hippy world was a road junction called Haight and Ashbury....

















Nice legs....




















Two very different but both good tattoo shop signs....




















































A row of houses called the Painted Ladies at Alamo Square....




















The Leading Ladies outside the Painted Ladies....




















Chinatown....


























One of the famous cable cars with the downtown area in the background....




















I parked next to a SF Police bike. I spoke to the officer who had been riding police bikes for 14 years and he loved it!....




















In the evening I went to a bar to watch the 5th game of the Baseball World Series. I hadn’t watched much baseball before but during this tour I had watched a few games and was becoming interested in who might win. I took my camera along to the bar and took a few photos as the San Francisco Giants won the World Series....




















Congratulations Giants!

Staying near the centre of SF, I heard a lot of car horns being blown in celebration!

13 comments:

GF said...

Make sure you walk down the "Most crooked street in the world" AKA Lombard Street :-) I didn't attempt with my bike, too steep, too many cars and pedestrians, it's better to walk :-)Nice pictures, pity the Coit Tower was closed :-(

Gary France said...

George - I did ride down Lombard Street on Sunday and it was so full of cars, I stopped about 10 times. I might try it again today as I leave SF.

Unknown said...

Gary:

I have the exact same photo of the Haight Ashbury street sign but I took mine back in 1970 when we drove to SF in my Datsun 510 .

It has been a while since we have been there but we walked down Lombard street the last time and also visited the Ansel Adams photography centre. You should ride over the Golden Gate bridge and visit Sausalito

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

Motorcycle Philosophy said...

Coincidentally enough, that's called a "Bottlebrush Plant".

Jackie, the Wife xx said...

Hi MD:

Not too long now and you will be coming home..!!.. <<< BIG SMILE >>>
Just can't wait to see you again, after
such along time...

I really liked your pics of San Francisco.

As you can probably guess, my favourites are of the Sea Lions. :-)

If you increase the ZOOM to 400 % on your screen resolution, you can even see some of their little teeth as they are swimming along. (Pic 3, especially.) xx

As always, wishing you a fun day
and safe travels...

Your Little Wifette ... Kz, "J" xoxo

Geoff James said...

Gary:

I hope you wore some Flowers in Your Hair! You ought to lay off the LSD though :-)

The plant you like is a Callistemon (the Bottlebrush), a native of Australia. We have 3 red ones in our garden, plus a dayglo pink one.

Your botanical friend.......

Oz said...

San Francisco is a very unique city. I hope you enjoyed some great seafood. The Golden Gate Bridge is an awesome site. You will love Monterey. Make sure you visit the aquarium.

Mike said...

Gary,
Nice job of capturing the sights in SF. You photos are very good. I especially like your bike next to the police officer's.

I agree with Bobskoot - Sausalito is nice. You've probably left there by now but another good spot to view everything is The Top of the Mark sky lounge. It doesn't look like you had any fog!

SonjaM said...

Too bad Coit Tower was closed, watching the sun set over the water and downtown is the best! SF is one of my favourite cities in the US.

Unknown said...

Hi Gary, I have been watching your tour with great interest - what a fantastic experience for you. For me it has been one long photography class! Your pictures are really good, especially San Francisco. Have great fun & enjoy, look forward to seeing more. All the very best, Deb France x

Al Ginbey said...

Al (born and raised in Stockton, CA) and now living in Omaha, Nebraska. Been following your trek the last month and enjoying it! Sure wish I knew you were in San Francisco as I was there over the last weekend visiting friends. Enjoy the warmth while it still lasts.

Susette aka Limness said...

Gary, Hi and thank you for the gorgeous photo's on your way south of San Francisco. It almost has me packing the car to travel out there to paint on the coast! Your photo's are extraordinary and the one of the surfer flying above the crest of the wave is simply amazing.

I wonder if you had any water hit your camera when the wave hit you?
BTW the blog is a fabulous gift to all of us out here in cyber land!

thank you!

Gary France said...

Bob – Were you wearing a tie-dye t-shirt back then? I did the GG bridge, but not Sausalito, as I have been there before.

MP – Thanks, that makes sense!

Jackie – Yep, not long now! I have taken more seal pictures since and I guessed you would like them!

Geoff – I used to do that but not many flowers go with grey!

Oz – California has been great, but I didn’t have time to go to the aquarium.

Mike – Thanks. I liked the two bikes picture as well. I didn’t get to see the Top of the Mark sky lounge, in fact I don’t even know where it is.

Sonja – I think SF is now one of my favourites as well.

Deb- Hi to you! Thanks for coming along on the ride! I am learning a lot about photography on this tour and you are right – it has been a fantastic experience, which is coming to an end shortly, with only about 10 days to go now. Have fun reading the rest!

Al – Shame we missed each other. The warmth continues and I have no complaints about that whatsoever.

Susette – Thank you for the compliments. I knew that picture of the surfer departing the wave would be good as soon as I clicked the shutter. I couldn’t wait to see it on my computer. The coast in California is a real treat. Yes, the camera got wet, but I dried it off quickly and there doesn’t seem to be any damage thankfully.