Wednesday 21 July 2010

Niagara Makes A Splash....

Niagara is a good place. It made me realise just how powerful nature can be. It made a splash with me.

I have been here before, but previously I had only been on the USA side of the falls and the Canadian side is very different. From Canada you get a better view of the falls.

Here are the pictures I took, mainly yesterday.

The Canadian Falls, with one of the Maid of the Mist boats....



















The Canadian falls with the spray rising high....


























The Canadian Falls with a great rainbow....



















Looking down at the water rushing over the edge....


























Maid of the Mist boat....



















The top of the Canadian Falls. 34 million gallons of water go over here, every minute!....



















A couple of pictures from near the base of the Canadian Falls....









































Looking down the river towards the Rainbow Bridge that connects the USA to Canada, with the American Falls on the right....



















The American Falls....





































Maid of the Mist boats....



















Today, I took a few video clips with my point and shoot camera. The quality is surpisingly good....





As I walked around with my camera, I couldn’t resist taking a few pictures of people. I liked this ladies hair....



















My favourite photo of the day was of this tough looking guy with his tattoos walking along carrying his baby. I asked if I could take their picture and he kindly agreed. The baby was less than a week old....


























I walked into the Clifton Hill area, which is where all of the tourist places are. It is tacky, but fun at the same time. The Hard Rock cafe sign is very cool....


























The Burger King sign is not cool....



















Strange, but fun....



















He had been riding his bike for too long without eye protection....


























The Scanlon Tower....


























A couple going for a, err, walk?....



























Niagara Falls at night....







































This is not a great quality picture, but this morning the spray from the Canadian Falls was so high, it was joining the clouds....


























I had to smile this morning. I ate breakfast in the "All you can eat" breakfast room. Some people there were taking that way too literally - the amount of food on their plates was huge! Now, don't get me wrong, as I amin need of shedding a few pounds myself, but jeez, these people could eat!

15 comments:

SonjaM said...

Gary, we all have to agree that the Canadian Niagara falls are far more beautiful... ;-)
The rainbow picture is a gem itself, but I am even more impressed by your people portraits. The lady as well as the tough guy with the baby (awwww so sweet) look very natural.

Tim France said...

Really great pictures Gary. I've never been to Niagara and it is great to see. Looks liek you had a good day weather-wise too. I particularly like the first few photos of the falls in your post today, and the video clips is great too.

I can't keep up with you! A few busy days at work and I am lagging behind - reading the blog every day though, like a morning paper with my coffee. Looks like you are having a great time bro :-)

Mishy Moo said...

SLD,

Loved the Ripley's photo. My kind of cool stuff to see. But, that's the dork in me...hahaha. I think I should get my hair like that lady. It might just be an improvement :oP

Can't wait for mom to return so I get a brief moment here and there to talk on the phone with you. Even though I rarely see you, reading your blog makes me miss you.

Be safe...LY (aw, crap...now I am crying)

Eve said...

Spectacular photos of the falls Gary! I too have never been even though I lived only hours away all those years. I did see them from an airplane once...does that count? Love the people photos and the bug eyed guy is a hoot! Night photos fantastic! Well, at least I know better than to fill my plate at all you can eat!
I'm with Tim....morning coffee and Gary's Adventure! Personal question...is Mishy Moo your daughter? My daughters nick name is Missy Moo!! :-) I'm sure you are missed much! Love the video...barrel anyone?

Learning to Golf said...

Great pictures Gary. Being only three weeks removed from the Falls, it was great to look at them from your perspective.

Axel said...

great photos, and what a good eye with a great sense of humor :) I think the couple taking a "walk" had too many "All you can eat" breakfast's

Canajun said...

Never seen the falls from the US side, but I've heard the Canadian view is better. Regardless, they are spectacular. Great photos.

FLHX_Dave said...

Awesome! Never seen the falls. It's hard to imagine the size in the picts so the barge helps. Wow!

You are truly the roadwhore and living a great adventure. I live in this country...I need to see more of it. That's tragic isn't it.

Great pictures!

Gary France said...

Sonja – Sometimes Canada is just better. That applies to ice hockey, right? I told the tough guy why I wanted to take their picture – the freshness of the baby against his tattooed arms was quite a contrast.

Tim – Thanks! I did take a lot of pictures and posted the best ones! I am pleased you look at it like reading the paper with your coffee. I will try to post every day so you have something to read each morning!

Mishy Moo – That colour hair might just suit you....! What you said was really nice! We will speak soon. But, remember this is a blog mainly for bikers, so you are killing what little street cred I had. LY too!

Eve – Thanks – I liked taking pictures of the falls, but trying to keep the crowds out of the shots was a challenge. Yes, Mishy Moo is my step-daughter.

AHD – my room didn’t have the great view that yours did!

Axel – Thanks. I was lucky with that couple – he just reached out his arm as I lifted my camera.

Canajun – They really are spectacular. I have seen from both sides and everybody that goes to see them from the USA MUST go to the Canadian side. That is an order!

Dave – They are truly magnificent. Living this journey is an adventure – a fantastic one! And there is so much to see yet!

Unknown said...

Gary:

I have only seen the "Falls" from the Canadian side. There is a spot by the railing where the falls just flow over. If you stare at the water going over the side it sort of hypnotizes you into wanted to "flow" over too. scary thoughts.

We also took the elevator under the falls. It is very powerful looking out of the "cave" into the wall of water, where there is a viewing platform.

We also went up to the Sky-lon where I lost my lens cap. I was hoping that you found it for me.

I try to stay away from anything "all you can eat" . I have no will power. I eat until I'm full, then go for one more plate. Much better to limit your portions.

bob
Wet Coast Scootin

Mishy Moo said...

SLD,

I know a few bikers...and I don't care what they look like on their "way too bad ass" bikes...you are ALL big teddy bears on the inside. BUT, I promise not to leave any more written evidence that you have a sappy step-daughter floatin' around...wouldn't want to ruin your image :o) hahaha

Talk soon

Eve said...

Well, Mishy Moo....you're right, all Harley men are big teddy bears inside...especially when it comes to their daughters, step included!! ;-)

Gary France said...

Bob – I think I stood at that spot, but I didn’t have any feelings of wanting to “go with the flow”. The cave was good fun too, but the viewing platform at the bottom of the falls was a laugh – I got soaked! I saw a lens cap and I wondered if it was yours.... I have no will power either. I eat what I am given, which is a problem!

Mishy Moo – Sappy is ok, but not on my blog! It was good to talk to you today! SLD.

Eve – Please don’t agree with her. She will only get worse!

Oz said...

Great photos. I look forward to visiting Niagara Falls in the future.

Gary France said...

Oz - Thanks! They are spectacular and well worth going to see.