Sunday 18 July 2010

Adirondack Beauty and Boldt Castle

I had a great day today. I rode through what I think is the most beautiful area so far – the Adirondacks from Lake Placid to Old Forge heading southwest along State Highways 86, 3, 30 and 28. The scenery was stunning, full of rivers, lakes, hills and valleys. Fantastic!

Here are a few of the dozens of photos I took....

Near Tupper Lake....


























A river near Tupper Lake....



















A group of riders goes by....



















Bog River near where it enters Tupper Lake....



















Bog River Falls....



















A typical Adirondack lake....


























A wide river....



















I rode with these two along State Highway 30....




















A float plane on Long Lake....




















I rode down Moose River road, which is nice and twisty and I loved riding on this road! Here is a picture of the river....


























Jumping into Moose River....


























I have seen a few of these, but I don’t know what they are. Any suggestions?....




















They look as if they are covered with a sticky material to collect insects?....




















One of my readers, Eve, used to live in northern New York State and she suggested I go see Alexandria Bay in the Thousand Islands area and Boldt Castle, which I did today....


























This is the hotel I am staying in, the Riveredge next to the St Lawrence River....




















The view from my room....



















One of the tourist boats on the St Lawrence....




















The big attraction around here is Boldt Castle. George Boldt, who was proprietor of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City, started construction of the castle for his wife, Louise, but construction was stopped in 1904 when Louise suddenly died at the age of 42. George ordered the construction to cease immediately and it never re-started. The castle soon began to deteriorate badly until 1977 when the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority acquired the castle and began a restoration program. The work is slow and expensive and today, many rooms in the castle remain as an empty shell.

Approaching the Boldt Castle by boat, you see the striking Alster Tower first, with the main castle in the background....




















The main entrance to the castle....




















The side of the castle from the grounds....


























The Alster Tower....


























The view of Alexandria Bay from the top floor of the castle....




















Looking up above the grand staircase....


























The domed glass ceiling above the grand staircase....


























The castle has been vandalised over the years by a huge amount of graffiti. Why anybody would want to do this is incomprehensible....




















One of the nearby thousand islands....

10 comments:

Eve said...

Wow Gary thanks so much for taking me on my old riding routes! Moose River Road used to be all tore up but they fixed it and it is a fun ride! I can't believe you took pictures of that big rock where we used to stop and watch the same activity each time we'd go. I know the Riveredge very well, (I worked with a student that worked there during the school day!) Did you learn that Boldt Castle is on a heart shaped island...Heart Island, as well, what a sad story! I'm so glad the weather is beautiful for your journies today, while you ride along the St Lawrence and Lake Ontario!! I've got big smiles on!! :-)

Chuck Pefley said...

Looks like your trip is progressing nicely -:)

I suspect the little blue things hanging from the trees are insect traps designed to monitor specific bugs. We have similar items here in Seattle at times.

Donna McNicol said...

Beautiful photos...been years since I hit that area. Hoping to do New York & New England next summer after our Route 66 tour.

Gary France said...

Eve – I am glad that you liked the pictures and that you in a sense “joined” me albeit vicariously. There were lots of people swimming in Moose River, right at that rock. Yep, I knew about the heart shaped island – it was talked about in a short film I watched at the castle. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Chuck – I think you are probably right. I saw more today riding along Lake Ontario. In a comment on another post, Rich has said they are used to monitor the Emerald Ash Borer Beetle.

Donna / Froggi –Thanks and welcome to my blog! I hope that you have as much fun in New York and New England as I did.

Janice : ) said...

Gary,

You are having way to much fun!! Love all your pics of Lake Placid; Whiteface Mountain has a mystical beauty even in the fog. At least you got to cool off in the tunnel! Must have felt good after the excessive heat. Your pics of Boldt Castle and Alexandria Bay bring back memories. Rented a mini houseboat there for a couple of weeks way back when. It's a beautiful area, ride included. Looking foward to your journey. Thanks Gary !!

Gary France said...

Janice – Whiteface Mountsain was a cool place even in the fog / clouds. Even though I missed out on the view, I am still glad that I went up there. Renting a houseboat in Alex Bay would be very nice, I am sure. It is a great place!

Mary said...

That purple sticky thing in the tree is looking for the dreaded Ash Borer that is going to kill all the ash trees.

Gary France said...

Mary - Thank you for looking ay my blog and for answering my question. I had seen quite a few of those purple sticky things as I rode along and it was sending me crazy trying to work out what are were, but now I know!

Mishy Moo said...

LOVED the photos from today. Castles are so cool! Maybe I'll have to visit the Adirondacks some day. But, too much in the West on my list for now. Your pictures will have to suffice. Good thing you're so good at taking great photos :o) Can't wait to get together after you are finished so I can see ALL of your photos and stories. HUGS

Gary France said...

Mishy - You must go to the Adirondacks. Family holiday next summer maybe?