Monday 19 July 2010

The St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario

Today’s ride was mainly along the water’s edge of the St Lawrence River and Lake Ontario. I had better get used to seeing water on my right-hand side as it will be there most of the time from here all the way to Milwaukee.

Using more of Eve's knowledge of the area because she used to live here, I followed some of her suggestions for places to see along the St Lawrence River all the way through Cape Vincent to Tibbetts Point. The road down the coast was fantastic, with some great views and some terrific houses. Here is the road and views approaching the Point....















































The houses were of various sizes – a good mixture of large and small. I liked the houses that overlook the river and incorporate large windows to make the most of the view....









































The setting of the houses was very special with the sun out on this hot day, but I am sure it would be very different in the winter with the cold wind blowing off the river.

I soon approached the lighthouse at Tibbetts Point. I have decided I like lighthouses, but I was disappointed I could not climb the stairs in this one, due to “USCG and Insurance Regulations”.





















































Next I headed along the water once more to Pillar Point....





















I didn’t take many photos during the rest of the day as I left late this morning and I was trying to make up some of the time, by getting a decent amount of miles in. However, I didn’t realise I did this many miles....





















I did stop, turn round and take a photo of these matching Honda Gold-Wings. I have never seen two identical bikes as striking as these before. I didn’t see the riders, but “his and hers” maybe?....





















Finally for today, I went to see another lighthouse – this time at Sodus Point on Lake Ontario....





















7 comments:

Eve said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the river and the lake Gary! Yes that ride to Tibbetts is beautiful. A few of those houses are quite new. Now you are off to places I havent been but I'll be riding along here with you each day! Thank you for the wonderful photos of my old stompping ground (riding grounds)you don't know how fun this has been for me!
Oh and the yellow Goldwings...just peachy!

Geoff James said...

Very nice. Whenever I think of that area, I think of Gordon Lightfoot and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, even if it was on Lake Superior!

Charlie Barney said...

Gary - Being a life-long resident of New York State your photos and narrative bring back many memories of previous vacations. You may enjoy this tounge-in-cheek website, Roadside America http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ It is a guide to the bizzare, tacky, and weird attractions usually found on backroads or in smalltown America. There may be some on your projected route that would appeal to your personal sense of humor. If you find yourself in quick need of a euphemism for one of these sites -"oddities" or "unique" would suffice. No person ever went broke betting on the gullibility of the American public ! Continue to have a safe ride !

SonjaM said...

You always seem to luck out with the weather. Another beautiful scenery. I wonder how you find the time to keep up with your regular postings... I am three days on the road now and already lost track... keep on rolling!

Mishy Moo said...

SLD,

You had time to make a side trip to swing by Mexico but couldn't bear to stop for a visit in Snohomish?!?! I am SO hurt :o) Thanks for the Vermont moose. LY

Mishy Moo said...

SLD,

So glad to be virtually riding along! Grammie says to tell you to be safe and she loves you :o) Jody and Brick have been reading and said they are loving it. You may get a post from them, too.

Wishing you lots more dry, but not too hot, days...Wish I was there :o)

Gary France said...

Eve – You are very welcome regarding the pictures. Thanks again for the suggestions about where I should go and see.

Geoff – Your geography is slightly out methinks!

Charlie – I am glad I could bring back those memories! Thanks for the tip about Roadside America. I will have to track down some of those places!

Sonja – I am watching your and Bobs blog to check on your progress. The only way I can keep up to date with mine is to make sure I post every evening / night about what I saw that day. It helps that I try to finish my riding by 5pm at the latest. Be safe with your trip and say hi to Bob for me – make sure he eats healthy food!

Mishy Moo – Glad you liked the Vermont Moose! Sorry about missing you out from the route. Say hi to Grammie for me and I am pleased that Jody and Brick are looking at the blog too!