Wednesday 20 February 2013

The Coromandel Peninsula


Are these abseilers, or are they window cleaners?....



Rogey will recognise this place. Driving out of Auckland, we happened to go back to one of the places Rogey and I had been to just the day before. Jackie is of course sporting her newly obtained and stylish footwear....



The beach near Maraeati....



To the east of Auckland is The Firth of Thames and along its edge is the East Coast Road. Beautiful to look at, this wouldn’t be the most comfortable of beaches to sunbath on....



I believe these may be wild turkeys, but I am not sure....



Seen in the town of Thames....



Our main target for the day was to drive around the Coromandel Peninsula. I had heard it was spectacular and was a terrific road to drive / ride. That certainly wasn’t wrong. Here are some of the pictures....











Fellow blogger, Geoff James, lives near Coromandel. Sadly, we were not able to meet as Geoff and his wife Jennie were away on their own holiday, so we took this picture for them....



I liked the look of the town, which seemed to have most things needed for those living nearby. I especially liked the look of the local hotel....



We didn’t however stay at the hotel and drive further to Tairua, where we stayed in a small cabin....

14

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Gary & Jackie:

I am so sorry you "missed" Geoff. You'll have to come back . . .

You've snapped more photos than what Geoff would have. Now we get to see more of Coromandel area, thank you

The colours of the clouds look so blue (saturated)

I like Jackies new footwear, must be hot though. Do you have to carry her up stairs ?

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

BeemerGirl said...

The weather seems perfect. Is Jackie's new footwear due to kicking you in the right direction? ;)

SonjaM said...

Bummer, you missed Geoff & Jennie but now you have a reason to come back. Coromandel is a little gem, as your pictures once again prove.

Trobairitz said...

I hope Jackie is feeling better. If she is going to have a sore foot, it sure is a beautiful place to do it.

I am inclined t think the same as Sonja - Too bad you didn't catch up with Geoff and Jennie. Tease him and tell him he planned it on purpose so you'd come back again.

Geoff James said...

Oh Gary, missed you guys by a few days - what a crying shame! Never mind, you'll just have to come back so we can show you the secret places :-).

From where you took the photo of the Star and Garter, had you turned left, you'd have found our house just 2km down there on the edge of the harbour. BTW, the owners of the S&G are keen riders and it's the meeting place for the local club, most of whom are H-D riders!

Thanks for posting the great pics!!

VStar Lady said...

Very stylish footwear ... I'm sure even it can't spoil the holiday by the look of the spectacular scenery.

Rex J. Covington said...

Fantastic Photos! Thanks For Sharing!

Gary France said...

Bob – You are right about the colour of the clouds. I have been playing with some new software that increases the contrast and saturation with the single click of a button. I like the effect, but realise that not everyone will. That is funny that I might have shown you more than Geoff about where he lives – I guess we are all like that, being too familiar with our own surroundings. The Peninsular is a spectacular place!

BeemerGirl – I need to be kicked in the right direction sometime!

Sonja – I was so sorry to have missed them. You are right, I will have to go back.

Trobairitz – I don’t think Geoff did plan it that way, but if he did, it is a good plan!

Geoff – I’d like to see the secret places. I am sure that as a tourist, I missed many of the best places that only the locals would know about. It was funny, for as we stood there near the sign and the Star and Garter, Jackie and I talked about where you might live and we had a feeling it was somewhere close by. Next time, my friend, next time.

VStar Lady – Uncomfortable it might have been, but it really didn’t spoil the holiday.

Rex – Thanks!