Thursday 8 January 2015

Is Tour Route Planning As Good As The Real Thing?


So the motorbikes are put away, and many of us are sitting here in the depths of winter.  In some places it is cold outside and in others it is very wet.  People from more southerly areas are still able to ride, but for most, winter is a time for staying off the bike.

So, what to do?  If we cannot ride, we need to fill our time with doing other things.  Some fettle their bikes, some find other things to do inside.  I like to plan next summers bike trips and I am just coming to the end of that right now.

Maps are covering the floor and my desk.....



My laptop is on overload with routes.  Choosing the best roads to fit together into one great tour is the key....


But, the best thing is, I really enjoy doing this as it increases the excitement level and makes me feel that the tour is nearer.  So, for me, route planning really is nearly as good as actually riding the routes later.

Gary
www.tour1.co.uk

16 comments:

RichardM said...

Or add a sidecar rig to your fleet and winter is no longer an impediment to riding...

Gary France said...

That is tempting Richard, but that doesn't get rid of the cold!

Oz said...

You are one of the few people I know who enjoys planning as much as I do. Enjoy the planning while the weather is not good for riding.

Gary France said...

Oz - Like you, I love the planning stage.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, planning a trip is exciting! Great post Gary!

redlegsrides said...

As RichardM said...sidecars! Heated grips+grip covers....layers of thin insulating clothing and good boots....it's all doable, as proven by RichardM in his current Polar Bear Challenge rides.

Just think Gary, a restored British Enfield, a nice sidecar.....motoring about Old Blighty....

Trobairitz said...

As much as planning the route sounds fun we never seem to have the time off to execute the ride.

One day I'm sure, we'll make time.

SonjaM said...

I like planning to a certain point.

But I dream of riding down the road (any road really) without destination, without having to be somewhere, and without time constrains.

Gary France said...

Lonestar – Thanks. I love looking at maps and the excitement that brings.

Gary France said...

Charlie6/ Dom / Redlegs – I am not so sure. So of us are not as hardy as you!

Gary France said...

Trobairitz – That is often a problem and you have my sympathies. Many rides are planned, or at least considered, but never ridden.

Gary France said...

Sonja – Many people have that dream and for most, that is what it stays.

Coop a.k.a. Coopdway said...

Ride planning, wondering and exploring the possibilities are more than fair ride substitutes as far as I'm concerned. Might not make winter fun but crazy me still manages to look forward to it(them).

Gary, may your plans come to fruition and more!

GF said...

I have been planning my trip across Europe for a long time, when I will be able to do it is another story.

Gary France said...

Coop – 100% agree

Gary France said...

George – I hope it is soon my friend.