Monday 11 October 2010

Yabba Dabba-Doo

Day 107 saw us heading off to what was surely going to be one of the highlights of the tour – The Grand Canyon. It was a chilly day as we headed north and went to have a look at the Arizona Snowbowl which is just north of Flagstaff. We rode up the road that climbs the side of Humphreys Peak and we felt the temperature plummet as the bike took us upwards. We were pleased to turn around at the highest point of the road and start heading down to a slightly warmer level. This is the view from about half way down....




















Our journey took us along US 180 and looking backwards, the good view of Humphreys Peak was no longer eluding us....


























We did see a large amount of trees that were severely damaged, with some having had their trunks snapped in two. These were not small weak trees, but large specimens in their prime. It didn’t take us long to realise these trees must have been right in the path of the tornados that hit the Flagstaff area a few days ago.

We pressed on to the junction with Highway 64 where Valle Airport sits, including an air museum. We didn’t have time to look at the museum, but did capture a few images of the planes sitting outside. I have no idea what planes these are....


























































Also at Valle there is Flintstones Bedrock City – a family run park honouring the cartoon character. Despite Jackie wanting to visit, we didn’t have time, but I did get a picture of her in the parking lot, being stared at by Fred.....




















.... or was he looking at the bike?

We arrived at the Grand Canyon and what a treat it was! More on that tomorrow, when I have sorted through the hundreds of pictures I took!

9 comments:

Webster World said...

I remember those planes with 3 tail finns flying over the house when I was young. They were cool. They looked soooo big.

My Bikers World said...

Ha! I have just remembered that it was the jubilee of the cartoon about Fred and his family not very long ago! Such a nice thing it was! I\d certainly like to visit this place.

GF said...

Can't wait to see the Grand Canyon photos :-) the three fin planes were built by Lockheed and were called Constellation :-)

Oz said...

I don't remember the planes, but the Canyon is awesome.

FLHX_Dave said...

Grand Canyon...grrrrrrr. It has eluded me for one reason or another time and time again. (At least 6 times now.)

Can't wait for the picts!

redlegsrides said...

Fred looks like he's admiring "the leading ladies"

dom

Redleg's Rides

Colorado Motorcycle Travel Examiner

Gary France said...

WW – Those 3 fins are very distinctive. I can understand why you remember seeing the planes.

MBW – We should have gone in to have a look, but we just didn’t have time.

George – Thanks for the name of the planes. I suspected one of my readers might know what they were called!

Oz – Yep, the Canyon is awesome.

Dave – You gotta find the time to go see the Canyon if you can.

Charlie6 – You might be right. Either that or he is admiring Jackie.

Eve said...

I really have to catch up again Gary! But as I was going backward in time the planes caught my eye so I'll start here. I think that first one is a DC3 but can't say for sure. I should know the one with the fins on the tail too but it's not coming to me. I'll figure it out! My dad was a co-pilot in the Air Force and flew a KC135 refueler. Then he was a Sky Marshall in the '70 and finally became a US Customs agent and flew all kinds of airplanes including DC3's. He had lots of fun chasing the bad guys down in Florida and elsewhere.
I think Fred must be looking at Jackie, that motorcycle is too little for him!!

Gary France said...

Eve – I see you are caught up again! That is cool about your dad – he seems to have done many interesting things. You are probably right about Fred!