Tuesday 19 January 2010

New Paint Job for the Road King?

You know how your mind turns if you have a difficult decision to made? I am trying to decide if I should get a new paint job done on my 2006 Harley-Davidson Road King. This is the bike I will be using for the tour of the USA. I have been thinking for a while that I might get it done before shipping the bike to New York, but I am not sure. Trouble is, I rather like the sort of classic retro style of the Road King and it seems a shame to do anything that will really detract from it.















But I also like having a bike that stands out a little. Duh, I mean a lot. My custom bike doesn’t exactly blend in to the background!


Then a few weeks ago I saw a picture that a guy called Tony Evans has painted. This was painted onto a piece of flat sheet metal as a sample and I adore the picture which is of Audrey Hepburn. Yes, the picture on the left is really an airbrush painting! Now, it just so happens that I am a bit of an Audrey Hepburn fan and so is my wife. I just love the way she looks in some of her old movies. I even had a picture painted of Audrey for one of the bedrooms in our house in Spain.

So the big question for me is should I have this image, and others like it painted onto my Road King in a sort of homage to B&W movie screen legends? I am going to see Tony later today to see some of his work. I will let you know what I decide, but that may take some time......

Tony's work can be seen at Tony's Custom Paint Shop

9 comments:

Oz said...

Wow! What a picture. Tony is an outstanding artist. I am sure what ever he does for your bike will be great.

Mr. Motorcycle said...

That would be cool as long as you don't over do it. I LOVE customs, but Subtle is more in my book.

Gary France said...

Oz - I agree. Outstanding.

Mr Motorcycle - Yes, Tony and I are trying to develop an idea as to how this might work without it being too much.

ronandrosi.blogspot.com said...

We have a couple of Honda Goldwings and enjoy riding from our summer home in Washington State and our winter home near Eufaula Alabama. If you get into our neck of the woods on your tour, we have a guest house we would be happy to have you use. We are about 55 miles northeast of Seattle.

Gary France said...

Sadly my tour doesn't get that far into the north east, but I am very grateful for the offer :) My wife's family come from that part of the world - they are in Snohomish, which must be near to you. I therefore know the area reasonably well and we have stayed recently at Whidby Island, Lake Whatcom and Lake Chelan. I like the area around Seattle, but I have never ridden a motorbike there. Yet.

Gary France said...

Duh - I of course meant north west.

iansolley said...

Do you think you will have the time to get the bike stripped, painted and re-assembled before you ship it out?
My sad experience is that painters always take twice as long as they say they will!
Its not as personal but check Ebay as you might get a full HD Radical paint set cheap!

Gary France said...

Ian - I am told by Tony that he can do this paint within 4 to 6 weeks starting mid-February. This means I should be OK. Stripping the bike down will be OK and I reckon front fender and tank will be off in an hour. I am not so sure about the rear fender though! Fingers crossed!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cuz, How about a Mount Rushmore sort of thing. Think of five people from the 20th Century like Audrey Hepburn, Keith Richards, Winston Churchill, Mohamed Ali and Elvis. It would also make a fantastic t-shirt.